STAFF TRAINING MATERIALS
GOT A QUESTION?
Email 1TOP STAFF email@example.com
Created 6/13/2004 - MUSH
Updated 5/2/2015 - 1TOP Sailor
Updated 6/28/2020 - 1TOP STAFF
2 . DUTIES OF GAME HOST
3 . DUTIES OF LOBBY HOST
4. RULES & REGULATIONS
5. TIEBREAKER FORMAT AND RULES
6. FORMAT OF PLAY
7. END OF THE MONTH TOURNEY
NOTE; remember we are allowed to post only two of these items at any one time -- more than that and we get in trouble with the guides. Posting is supposed to be no more than every 10 minutes, until 10 minutes before the tourney, when you can post every 2.5 minutes.
NOTE -- I have made all these into binds. If you want to make your own binds, go to any Hardwood lobby (I do these in an empty lobby so I can practice seeing what they look like). Type /bind (shortname)=(then make up your own post & type it in)
The next time you want to use this post all you have to do is type /(shortname) and it will post automatically for you. (I made binds for all of these, so all you have to do is copy and paste them one at a time while you're in a Hardwood lobby (and keep a copy of your list of binds so you'll remember which one is which). Ask me if you have any questions.
/bind lobby1=~[cblue]:stars TOP SINGLES Tourney at 9 pm in the TOP LOBBY. Reg hrts/rated games. Come play! :)
/bind lobby2=~[cblue]:stars Join us in the TOP Lobby for hearts singles tourney at 9! Y'ALL COME! :)
The next time you use these, all you have to type is: /lobby1 or /lobby2
(Note: improvise your own if you like)
SINGLES TOURNEYS: LOBBY POSTING BINDS
NOTE: Please use one of these binds each time you post, FOLLOWED immediately by the 'nosign' post.
/bind lobby1=~[cblue]:stars TOP SINGLES Tourney at 9 pm in the TOP LOBBY. Reg hrts/rated games. :)
/bind nosign=~[cblue]:stars TK sign-up, show up & play! Rated Players WELCOME! :stars
/bind lobby2=~[cblue]:stars Join us in the TOP Lobby for hearts singles tourney at 9! :)
/bind lobby3=~[cblue]:stars Never played in a tourney? COME TRY IT! TOP singles tourney @ 9:stars!
/bind lobby4=~[cblue]:stars Sign-In for TOP singles' tourney is now open! Rated WELCOME! :stars!
GENERAL BINDS: FOR ALL GAME HOSTS (to be used at game time in the TOP LOBBY):
/bind welcome=~[c9]:stars WELCOME ~[C12]TO ~[C9]TOP! :stars~[c12]PLAY NICE & ~[C9]HAVE FUN!:stars
/bind new=~[c9]:stars If this is your first tourney~[C12] wave a hand ~[C9]and let us know! :stars
/bind nono=~[cred] :stars REMEMBER, DO NOT KICK players: ~[cblue]call host if you need help!:)
/bind questions=~[c9]:stars ANY QUESTIONS ~[C12]before we start?:stars
/bind gla=~[c12]:stars Good Luck ALL! :stars
/bind mute1=~[c9]:stars Don't make me mute ya! ~[C12] IF YA CAUSE TROUBLE ~[C9] I WILL!! :stars
/bind mute2=~[c9]:stars 1st time:WARNING! ~[C12] 2nd time: MUTE! ~[C9] 3rd time, yer DQ'd! :stars
/bind 2min=~[c12]~[jblack]:stars You will get called 2 x to make or join table, after 2 minutes, sorry, you are dq'd. :(
/bind open1=~[cblue]:stars PLEASE HOLD CHAT while I explain tonight's open seating! :stars
/bind open2=~[cred]:stars I will name the GLs, who will make the rooms. THE REST, STAY HERE!!
/bind open3=~[cblue]:stars DO NOT GO TO THE ROOMS till I tell you! STAY HERE!!!
/bind open4=~[cred]:stars WHEN I SAY 'GO' -- go find a seat anywhere! :stars
/bind open5=~[cblue]:stars If you didn't find a seat -- stay here. I'll try to find more players!
/bind open6=~[cred]:stars Any questions before I name the GLs? :stars
/bind boot1=~[cblue] When a player is booted or leaves, WAIT 5 minutes for them to return
/bind boot2=~[cblue] Do not allow someone else to take the seat and do NOT play with a bot.
/bind boot3=~[cblue] If they are not back in FIVE MINUTES, ask Host for a sub
/bind boot4=~[cblue] Finish the game with the sub in place of the missing player
/bind boot5=~[cblue] If the missing player returns after 5 min, sorry but sub now has that spot
/bind boot6=~[cblue] After 3 boots, player will be DQ'd to prevent on-going disruption of the game.
/bind set150=~[c9]:stars GLS plz set games to ~[C12]150, rated, timeout, anyone, cut optional ~[C9] GLA! :stars
/bind set100=~[c9]:stars GLS plz set games to ~[C12]100, rated, timeout, anyone, cut optional ~[C9] GLA! :stars
/bind winners=~[c9]:stars WINNERS ONLY advance to SEMIFINALS! :stars
/bind win1=~[c9]:stars WINNERS and ONE WILD advance! :stars
/bind win2=~[c9]:stars WINNERS and TWO WILDS advance! :stars
/bind win3=~[c9]:stars WINNERS and THREE WILDS advance! :stars
/bind top2=~[c9]:stars TOP 2 ONLY ~[C12] NO WILDS ~[C9] move on to next round! ~[C9]GLA!:stars
EOM SINGLES BINDS
/bind eom1=~[cblue] :stars Welcome to TOP's EndOfMonth Championship tourney! :stars
/bind eom2=~[cblue] :stars Our top 16 get first preference but we may need subs, SO DON'T LEAVE! :stars
/bind eom3=~[cblue] :stars We will be playing 4, FOUR, 4 ROUNDS stay for all FOUR! :stars
/bind eom4=~[cblue] :stars GLS: set all games for 100 pts, rated, timeout, anyone :stars
/bind eom5=~[cblue] :stars Winners = 10 pts, 2nd =7, 3rd =4, 4th =1; 4 highest totals play in final! :stars
/bind eom6=~[cblue] :stars Four finalists are eligible for End-of-year Championship! GLA! :stars
Duties Of TOP Tourney Host:
- The TOP Tourney Host is, in effect the manager for that evenings tournament. He/she oversees all aspects of the tournament for that evening. His/her decisions are final.
- At 8:45 pm EST, the Host should be in the TOP LOBBY for sign-in.
- Before sending rooms out, the Host should post the following and ask for any questions:
- Rules & regs
- Any announcements
- Tourney format of play
- Post the room assignments in the lobby chat window (or alert them to open seating)
- Print out or hand-write a list of the rooms and assignments for your own use, as well. Use of Word or Excel documents also works well.
- Determine if you need any wild cards and visit each room and let them know how many go on.
- As the rooms come back, write the points earned (not the scores) next to the persons name
- Shuffle the names around for semifinals assignments so players don't play the same opponents in the semifinals as they did in the 1st round.
- Determine how many players from each room will go on to semi -- go to each room and let them know:
- Two semis = top 2 from each room go on to finals
- Three semis = winner plus one wild (wild card with best differential)
- Four semis = winners only go on
- As the Semi players return, write their points down as well
- If a tiebreaker is required, play it at this time. Send a player to watch and monitor tiebreaker game.
- When top 4 are finalized hold the finals .
- Chat, schmooze, and then close room and go home!
- SEND ALL SCORES TO 1TOP STAFF: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Here's the format to use in reporting the nightly points (sample report included below):
- We need to receive ONLY the points awarded not the actual scores themselves.
- Points are awarded as follows:
- a. First place = 5 pts
b. Second = 2
c. Third = 2
d. Fourth = 2
- We need to receive a report of the total points earned by each player that night, INCLUDING hosting and sub points.
- Include a note about who won and who, if anyone, was disqualified.
- We don't need to know actual scores, or who was in what rooms, or who was in semi's or finals just the total points each person got that night and who won (and the date of the tourney). (But if you want to send him this detail, in addition to the summary, feel free. It does help to have the info in case there is a dispute about the points.)
- The sample below is in a simple table of 2 columns. When done, keep that copy for your files .
- NOTE: if possible, it's great to get the names in alpha order, because that makes it easier to sort the names at the end of the week.
- IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE NAMES BE REPORTED EXACTLY as they are. An 0 and and O can look alike, and you have to be careful about spaces and underlines, etc.
DATE: Monday 9/4/00
Host pts: More 4Play Plz (singles)
Lobby Host: Drunkie
Sub pts: included in totals
PLAYER PTS Alley Kat 11 I am Superman 18 jedi 21 MoeGreen 1 Sagi 4 TheBigToe 27 - winner TheDrunk1 8 TheLittleToe 4 TheMiddleToe 1
Duties Of Lobby Host (note: each night's Tourney Host also posts in the lobby before their tourney)
- Arrive in lobby no later than 8:30 p.m.
- Post announcements about tourney in the Smoots lobby chat box about every 10 minutes (at Hardwood you can play and post at the same time). (at 10 minutes before tourney time you can increase posts to every 2.5 minutes.)
- Continue posting till just before 9 p.m.
- Let host know if you want to play -- and have fun!
Rules & Regulations
Duties of the Game Leader (GL):
How To Handle Booted Players:
Subs: Anyone who fills in as a sub now gets 1 Bonus point!
Grounds For Muting and/or Disqualification:
Players will be muted or disqualified for any of the following reasons:
If any of these occur, the player's name will be disqualified for any further tournaments during the week in which the DQ occurred. (dq'd for 30 days for leaving 3 tourneys voluntarily)
- Each host should make a note on the score sheet of any DQd players
1) If players are disruptive during a tourney, the Host will warn the player.
2) If the abusive/disruptive behavior continues, the host has two options:
a) mute the player for 10 or 60 minutes, or
b) boot and ban the player from the game.
All decisions made by the tourney host ARE FINAL
Cut-Off Time For First Round Of Play:
- In order to be fair to all our players, and not to have them waiting for long periods of time while a few rooms finish play, we will be ending our first round games at 10:30 p.m. (or the last hand played around that time).
- If we notice that a room is running late, our TOP Host or TOP Director will alert players in advance, so that they know about the cut-off time.
- Scores will be totaled at the time play is ended, and the games will be considered completed. Table host should initiate an 'abandon game' vote to avoid possibility of any player getting an 'incomplete' for leaving the game.
- Any player refusing to leave the room at the cut-off time will be DQ'd for the next seven days.
Tiebreaker Format & Rules:
If there is a tie during regular tourneys, the following rules will apply to the tie breaker:
If there is a tie during an EOM, the following rules will apply to the tie breaker:
Play the game out until there is a single winner; score is not final until the game is complete.
Format Of Play for SINGLES:
TOP does not use 'byes' and does not play with bots, and uses wildcards instead to fill the empty slots.
* Wildcards, if applicable, are only awarded to 2nd place finishers. The rule for determining wildcards is as each game completes, the score of the 2nd place finisher is subtracted from the score of the 4th place finisher, and that result is the 2nd place finisher's wild score. When all games complete in the round, the player with the lowest wild score is the 1st wild. If 2 wilds are needed, the player with the 2nd lowest wild score is the 2nd wild, and so on. In case of a wild score tie for an advancing position, a playoff will be required.
End Of The Month Tourney:
End Of The Year ChampionshipTourney:
Tournament Director (TD) Hosting Process
Steps for TD's to Manage a Tourney